Sunday, March 22, 2015

March 22 - inspired by TEDtalks

This week I watched two TEDtalks that I've suggested others to watch.
To make it easier, here are the links along with why I liked them:

1. Marc Kushner's talk is called Why the buildings of the future will be shaped by you. Being married to an architect, I was immediately drawn to watch this talk, as I am drawn to all things architecturally. I agree with his idea stated in the beginning that we spend "90% of our time indoors surrounded by architecture" and that architecture makes us feel. He points out that architects use symbols as what he calls "a predictable emotional trick" to get us to feel a certain way when surrounded by a certain kind of architecture.  He ends by suggesting that we should all work with architects to create the spaces we want to live in, feel in.

I know I am lucky. My husband has designed a house for us. One of the principles of the house is to bring the outside in. Whatever room I stand in, I will have more than one view to the outside and all the windows are wide and long. On the second floors, it literally feels like I'm in a treehouse! On the third floor, I can sit on the rooftop terrace! I know I will love the feeling of living in this house once it is completed!

I encourage you to listen to Marc and then think about the SPACES you like being in.
Click HERE to hear architect, Marc Kushner's TEDtalk

2. David Eagleman is a neuroscientist whose talk is called Can we create new senses for humans? The introduction to the talk states: As humans, we can perceive less than a ten-trillionth of all light waves. “Our experience of reality,” says neuroscientist David Eagleman, “is constrained by our biology.” He wants to change that. His research into our brain processes has led him to create new interfaces — such as a sensory vest — to take in previously unseen information about the world around us.

I watched this talk and kept thinking "Who thinks this stuff up?!" I have watched it two times and still don't think I totally get what he is doing and how he is doing it. It did give me a better appreciation of the animal kingdom, which has different biological ways to perceive and survive in the world.

I encourage you to listen to David and then think about the senses you do have and what it would be like to wear that vest.
Click HERE to hear David Eagleman, neuroscientist

I am a big fan of TEDtalks. They inspire. They allow me to hear about new ideas. They allow me to try to understand different ways to approach ideas. Over winter break, my daughter was reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, a historical fiction novel set  during the 1893 Chicago's World Fair. We don't seem to have World's Fairs anymore. Maybe TEDtalks are a kind of 21st century virtual World's Fair.


Enjoy TEDtalk viewing!

And in preparation for National Poetry Month in April, I recommend watching these TEDtalks:
Billy Collins - be sure to watch to the end...his last poem is the best, in my opinion!
Sarah Kay - amazing performance poet!

And for inspiration any day, from a great teacher, watch Rita Pierson, my champion!

TALKS SUGGESTED BY COMMENTS:
Mac Barnett
Brene Brown
 



11 comments:

  1. At our last faculty meeting, we viewed a TedTalk on grit. It is called "NOT YET!" I love TedTalks, they inspire me and teach me new things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these talks, I love TEDtalk. They are always thought provoking. I will be celebrating poetry month with my class too, so these talks will be more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these talks, I love TEDtalk. They are always thought provoking. I will be celebrating poetry month with my class too, so these talks will be more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love TED talks too!! They inspire and teach. I often use them in my classroom. I can't wait to check out the ones you shared. Thank yoU! Mac Barnett has an amazing one! My 6th graders loved it! You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great resources and reflections. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for these sources. We have been encouraging teachers to consider TED talks as performance assessments - so much that students can share about their learning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for these sources. We have been encouraging teachers to consider TED talks as performance assessments - so much that students can share about their learning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy TED talks, too! Brene Brown and Glennon Doyle Melton are two women whose talks are super-inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watching TED Talks, but my favorite one is by Sarah Kay, https://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_kay_if_i_should_have_a_daughter?language=en. Love her!

    -Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/2015/03/22/dreaming-of-babies-sol22/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very helpful, thoughtful post. Thank you for taking the time to review and link us to your favorite TED Talks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love TED talks! Thanks for introducing me to some new ones!

    ReplyDelete