Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Small moment about a broken clock

I shared the below story, my own school story, with my 3rd grade students on Thursday during our Writing Workshop. Then on Saturday, I bought Brian Selznick's newest book, Marvel and on pg. 421 I read this line: "Even a broken watch is correct twice a day." I got goosebumps reading that line and thinking that both this brilliant writer and I wrote about a similar object in our stories.

    Quietly, I entered Room 10 and took a seat. Moments ago I was feeling safe and happy as I solved math problems led by Mrs. Lawler, my very favorite teacher. But in 5th grade at St. James Parochial School the students change classes and Sr. Cecile taught reading. She was only four feet, ten inches tall covered by a dark nun's habit. Her stern face, which showed though the veil covering her head, made her seem scary. I glanced at the clock. It read 9:04. Today's packet of worksheets were handed out and I began to fill in the missing words to create correct grammar sentences.

   "How much more time until I can return to Mrs. Lawler?" I wondered. I glanced up at the clock. It read 9:04...still? I turn the worksheet over and completed the backside.

   Up I glanced a third time...9:04? I know time has passed. "Why does the clock still read 9:04?" I thought to myself.

   "Miss Stallings, don't bother checking the time. My clock is broke and is only correct twice a day," Sr. Cecile said sternly. "Now put your eyes on the paper and finish your worksheet."

    What a crazy room! A clock that doesn't move in a space where time feels eternal.

Reading Brian Selznick's words in Marvel (a beautiful, must-buy and read book, by the way!!) clearly motivated me to publish my school story here. I hope the same reading-writing-connection inspiration occurs at times for you!

7 comments:

  1. Wow- what a serendipitous moment you had when you bought the book and read that line. I know that feeling you describe of being in a classroom where time stands still... Reading- a packet of worksheets- makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- what a serendipitous moment you had when you bought the book and read that line. I know that feeling you describe of being in a classroom where time stands still... Reading- a packet of worksheets- makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate those "time stands still" moments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story SO capture the agony of boredom. SO much said in such few words. That's powerful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A clock that doesn't move in a space where time feels eternal."
    Just the classroom we teachers work so hard NOT to have. Great piece of writing, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A clock that doesn't move in a space where time feels eternal."
    Just the classroom we teachers work so hard NOT to have. Great piece of writing, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I felt your pain. Eternal classrooms full of worksheets.
    Nice piece.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete